It’s not easy to notice warning signs on your roof without knowing what you’re looking for. Call Conlon Exteriors today for a free consultation if you can spot or suspect any of the warning signs listed below. Or, let one of our professionals come out and give you a free roof analysis just to be on the safe side. Learn the Warning Signs of a Troubled Roof.
If your roof is more than 15 years old, or if it shows any of these warning signs, you may already have a problem.
- Caused by leaks in roof
- Check attic or crawlspace for leaks in deck
- Check chimney and vents for cracks in flashing
- Check rafters for leaks that travel away from original source
- Check roof for damaged shingles
- Caused by improper installation
- Caused by drying and cracking
- Can usually be repaired without replacing roof
- Caused by improper fastening
- Caused by exposure to high winds
- Can usually be replaced individually
Buckling & Curling Spots
- Caused by improperly applied felt (buckling)
- Caused by movement in deck (buckling)
- Caused by undersaturation of felt in organic-based shingles (curling)
- Caused by moisture in shingles
- Caused by excessive use of asphalt plastic cement
- Caused by growth of airborne algae deposited on roof
- Unsightly appearance does not affect the service life of the material
- Common problem in warm, humid climates
- Algae resistant shingles available regionally
- On newly applied shingles, a certain number of loose granules is normal
- On aging shingles, missing granules indicate need for replacement
- Caused by absorption of moisture by mat at the core of the shingle
- Common problem with organic-based shingles.
If You Have an Issue Such As a Roof Leak, What’s Next?
The next step is to call our roofing expert to come out for a Free Roof Analysis. From that roof inspection, we can suggest the smartest options for you, as well as give you costs for each of those options.
“Will my homeowner’s insurance cover my new roof?”
Smart homeowners know to call a professional roofer for a thorough inspection and cost estimate before contacting their insurance company. The insurance specialists here at Conlon Exteriors will let you know whether you have damage that’s likely to be covered. If not, you don’t want to have have a denied claim on your record.
Generally, normal aging and wear-and-tear of your house and roof is not covered. But if Conlon Exterior’s roof inspection reveals evidence of a roof leak or other damage from a hail or wind storm, we’ll help you make a claim to have your insurance cover the costs of roof replacement or other work.